Budget for beginners – Liv Avail 1
This model is worth choosing if the task is to buy a new entry-level road bike, but one that will bring pleasure and will not fall apart after six months. There is an aluminum frame with a carbon fork that well dampens vibration and impacts on small bumps – this will be quite enough to feel all the delights of riding a road bike. Shifting gears is the same 18-speed Shimano Sora groupset as the model above.
The downsides are rim brakes and basic aluminum wheels, but for training in the city for the first few seasons this will be enough. Please note that sooner or later you will either exchange such a bicycle for a new one, a higher level, or get rid of it as unnecessary.
Budget carbon – Pardus Robin Sport
If you don’t mind Chinese brands, Pardus Robin Sport is a great value for your money. Unfortunately, now you can hardly find a new carbon bike for around 100 thousand rubles.
The bike weighs around 9 kg and is equipped with an 18-speed Shimano Sora groupset. This transmission is far from the highest level, but it does its job well during low-intensity training. Here, mechanical disc brakes are reliable and easy to operate and maintain.
Optimal – Giant TCR Advanced 2
This bike is a great option for those who have already tried road cycling and are ready to invest in their sports equipment to use it for many years. Giant’s TCR Advanced 2 features a rigid carbon frame finished in metallic gold or gloss black for added appeal.
The latest version of the Shimano 105 groupset with 22 speeds is a decent level for both everyday training and participation in amateur competitions. Hydraulic disc brakes provide maximum performance. If you are confused by the need to service them in a workshop, the store offers six months of free maintenance.
The downside is that the wheels are rather mediocre with rims for tubeless tires. These tires are more durable and less prone to punctures, but you won’t be able to quickly replace them on a trip.
An alternative is Cube Attain SL. The option is significantly cheaper, almost 50 thousand, but has its own nuances. Firstly , it has an aluminum and slightly less aerodynamic frame, and secondly , it is 0.7 kg heavier. The Cube Attain SL features the same 22-speed Shimano 105 groupset and hydraulic disc brakes.
Professional – Wilier GTR Team Disc
The best choice if you have been in the saddle for a long time and are looking for a high-level bike or want to motivate yourself to train more often and harder. Wilier GTR Team Disc is one of the top models of the Italian brand. Here, wireless electronic gear shifting and 24 speeds are the best option for smooth pedaling on any terrain and speed.
Hydraulic disc brakes are another top-of-the-line item. There are also high-level Mavic Aksium wheels, on which, due to the structural features of the frame, you can install 28 mm wide tires – for driving on gravel and other not very smooth surfaces.
An alternative is the Specialized Tarmac SL7 Comp. A cool alternative for those looking for a top-end model. The Specialized Tarmac SL7 is more expensive, but has its advantages. The German brand has been one of the main trendsetters and technology leaders in cycling for decades.
It has all the goodies of the previous model – electronic shifting and hydraulic disc brakes. The only difference is the wheels.
How to choose a road bike
- Decide on your goals. If you’re just starting out, look for something inexpensive to see if you like cycling at all. If you already have experience, don’t skimp and choose a more reliable model.
- Select frame material. There are aluminum and carbon models. The first ones are a little heavier and cheaper, the second ones are more expensive, lighter and tougher. If possible, it is better to immediately choose carbon options: if you ride regularly, sooner or later you will switch to them anyway.
- Select a groupset. Transmissions differ in the type of gear shift – there are mechanical and electronic. The number of gears, weight and level of groupset in the line are also important.
- Decide on the type of brakes. It is best to choose disk ones – they are more reliable and efficient. The top one is disc hydraulics, but it is impossible to service it yourself.
- Pay attention to the wheels. Cheap basic models are best avoided – or be prepared for the fact that they will have to be replaced after some time.