The iPhone is one of the most popular smartphones in the world.
Previously, deciding on an iPhone was easy: Apple released one new phone every year, and removed the old one from sale. Now there is more choice: the company produces four to five models a year, and leaves some old ones on sale at a reduced price.
We tell you how to choose an iPhone for different tasks and budget. In most cases, the best models are the current ones, but in each category there are good cheaper alternatives.
What iPhones are on sale?
At the end of 2023, Apple will officially offer seven different smartphones, not counting variants with different storage capacities. But almost 20 options are available in Russian stores, including models that have officially been discontinued.
Late 2023 Models:
- iPhone 15 is the base model with a 6.1-inch screen.
- iPhone 15 Plus is the base model with a larger 6.7-inch screen.
- iPhone 15 Pro is a flagship with a better camera, processor and screen, as well as a new titanium body.
- iPhone 15 Pro Max is the most advanced flagship with a large screen and 5x zoom in the camera.
- iPhone SE 2022 is a relatively inexpensive smartphone with the design of the iPhone 8 and a 4.8-inch screen.
Current models from previous years:
- iPhone 14 is the basic iPhone of 2022 with a good camera and a powerful processor.
- iPhone 13 is the basic iPhone of 2021 and acts as a mid-budget model.
Discontinued, but still on sale:
- iPhone 14 Pro differs from the 15 Pro in case materials and lags behind in processor power.
- iPhone 14 Pro Max is a larger version of the 14 Pro with a more powerful battery.
- iPhone 13 Pro has a better camera and display than the base iPhone 13.
- iPhone 13 Pro Max – inferior to 14 Pro Max in terms of screen, camera and power, but costs about the same .
- iPhone 13 mini – the same characteristics as the basic version of the iPhone 13, but the screen is 5.4 inches.
- iPhone 12 is the base iPhone of 2020. The model is already noticeably outdated and difficult to find on sale.
- iPhone 11 is a 2019 iPhone with a regular IPS screen and rounded edges, but it’s inexpensive.
How to choose an iPhone
In 2023, you can find an iPhone in almost any price category – from average in the area up to 40,000 rubles to premium for more than 100,000 rubles. Several objective selection criteria can be identified.
Размер и дизайн. Сейчас удастся выбрать вариант почти на любой вкус. Модель mini — самая компактная со времен первого SE, а 15 Pro Max — массивная и тяжелая. Для любителей классики есть компактный iPhone SE в дизайне от iPhone 8 с кнопкой «Домой».
Смартфоны различаются и дизайном: в новых Pro-версиях используют более премиальные материалы корпуса. Рамка из титана, задняя панель — из многослойного матового стекла. В обычных моделях рамка корпуса сделана из алюминия.
Cameras. The basic models have two cameras – the main one and the ultra-wide-angle one, while the Pro adds another module with a 3x optical zoom. The 15 Pro Max debuts 5x optical zoom. The iPhone SE has only one camera, from the iPhone 8.
The top model has better features, including for professionals. Only on the Pro version you can shoot photos and videos in ProRAW and ProRes formats for more precise manual processing.
The cameras themselves are only half the result. The rest is neural network processing directly on the device. It works differently on different models, but the main rule is this: the more modern the smartphone, the better it will shoot, because Apple usually doesn’t add new modes to older devices.
Working hours. One of the most important parameters in recent years. Smartphones are becoming more powerful, but they also consume more energy. Apple is constantly trying to maintain or increase battery life from generation to generation.
This criterion is largely subjective: everyone has different usage scenarios, so the charge will be consumed differently . At the same time, many people have the same basic tasks: checking social networks and responding to messages, consuming content and taking photos or videos, listening to music. Therefore, you can focus on average use with a little of everything, which is given on the official website and in reviews.
Display. On an outdated screen, even the best content may not look as colorful as on new gadgets. Therefore, the quality of the display cannot be neglected.
The iPhone 11 and SE have an IPS matrix , which is a good but not very bright display. All new license models are equipped with OLED. These matrices are brighter, display more colors and are capable of producing perfect blacks, making the picture look more contrasty. True, OLED matrices have high-frequency flicker, some people are sensitive to it – their eyes get tired quickly.
The iPhone 13 Pro, 14 Pro and 15 Pro are equipped with screens with a refresh rate of 120 Hz – versus 60 Hz in all other iPhones. Roughly speaking, the screen becomes twice as smooth: scrolling through the interface and pages in the browser looks much more pleasant.